In the year 2010 the Central Council of
Jews in Germany celebrated its 60th anniversary. Its foundation along with the
Constituent Assembly took place in Frankfurt (Main) on 19 July 1950. The
delegates were sent by Jewish communities that had already been established in
the four occupied zones of Germany, which had been placed under American,
British, French and Soviet administration.
At the time of foundation there were still some 15,000 Jews living in Germany.
A Directorate of four people took charge of the affairs of this umbrella
organization. 15 representatives of the communities formed a board known as the
Council. Frankfurt became the first seat of the Central Council of Jews in
Germany, although it later moved to Düsseldorf and then Bonn. Since 1 April
1999 the Central Council of Jews in Germany has maintained its headquarters in