May 29th, 2008

Wuppertal’s Jewish Community opens a new cemetery

Wuppertal – For the first time since 1896, a new Jewish cemetery has been opened in Wuppertal . The Ceremonial Hall was inaugurated on 18 May. The 21,000-square-metre plot had been donated to the Jewish Community of Wuppertal by the Elberfeld Protestant Church Circuit several years ago. It provides place for about 2,000 graves. A separate section is available for non-Jewish spouses. To finance the preparation of the plot and the construction of the Ceremonial Hall, the Community has raised a €500,000 loan. (29.05.2008)